I have had a very exciting moment in the development of my app. It’s on the level of the first time Oppenheimer ran the debugging software on his prototype nuke and it gave a little explosion, or the time that Steven Spielberg first hit the power button for Bruce and it bit half of his arm off before crashing. I deployed the app to my phone, and it ran (which its done before), and when I clicked the little abortive square that indicates that a button should be there, my flashlight turned on (which it hasn’t done before). Then it crashed with that System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException error. Oh. Poo.
But hey, progress! At this point I’m not watching any more getting started videos, largely because I’m trying to figure out specific issues rather than major, fundamental paradigms. I’m not sure that that’s a good place for me to be right now, but what the hell do I know. I’ve still not figured out how to deal with my major TargetInvocationException, so I’ve been trying to kind of work around it. I’ve been dabbling in getting the settings page to be integrated with the main page, but that’s not going to great. When you click on the button while running the app, it seems to just switch to a totally blank page. There might be an issue with the way that I’m trying to get the page with the button; maybe a bad path? Or a bad… method? I don’t think that’s what those are called. I think it might be a path issue because it’s as relative a path as I use for the icons, and they’re not rendering on the phone either (but they are showing up in the designer window of VS. Typical).
Speaking of icons, have I ever told you how terrible I am at design? GIMP and PhotoShop are my least favorite things in the world, and yet here I am being forced to use them. Below is the current work I have done on the icon: It’s supposed to be a little cartoon dude with torso and head, except his head is a sun with rays (flashlight on) or no rays (flashlight off). Right now I’m having trouble figuring out how to line the rays up well with the head. Seriously, don’t look at the picture it’s awful. The tile would use the same image (Perhaps just the sun on the small tile). The settings icon would just be, you know, a settings gear.
As part of my work on the settings page, I’ve also been doing some preliminary work on the code for implementing the Day/Night modes of the UI elements. My idea was to be able to darken the UI elements in order to minimize the light coming from the screen into the eyes of the user. I figured out relatively early on in my app development that the best way to do this would be to manipulate the Opacity property of the elements. I figured that the best way to do this would be to essentially draw the elements to the screen using an Opacity value set to a global variable, but I’m honestly not sure if that would work; the app might not redraw its buttons, in which case I would probably need to wrap version of the UI elements in a while loop, so that the UI would be less opaque when the Night Mode setting is on. I’ve used a bit of background C++ knowledge on the initial part of my code, which really only consists of a commented out public variable at this point. If you’re interested in seeing where I’m at, you can check me out
where I’ll be uploading my source code whenever I update it. I like openness and I figure there isn’t any harm in uploading unpublished code for a shitty broken app to the internet; besides maybe somebody will give me some pointers. I tried to look at GitHub as a solution, but I have literally no idea how to work it and I’m not sure it would work with VisualStudio. It also seems to be more about collaboration than simple uploading and displaying code.
I feel like I’m getting kind of caught up in multiple things at once at this point again. I’ve hit a rough spot with the foundational C# code of my app, I’m unmotivated to do anything with the design, and I don’t really have a reliable way to test my settings page without the functioning flashlight part. I need to stay focused and either commit right now to either the design or the C#, but there is just so much going on right now.
So I guess that this is pretty much the stopping point for the part of this little adventure that will count towards my Digital Studies project. I’ll be writing up a post-mortem immediately after this that will look at what I did well (not much) and what I did wrong (much). I absolutely plan on continuing with these blog posts (of course I’d say that), but for my own benefit. I’m not sure how the lack of a grade will affect my output, but expect at least a longer than usual break after today. Exams will be over and I just bought Skyrim. I will be… busy, with… things.
P.S. Katy Perry’s new album is the bomb no kidding I love this shit.